Wood chip trees by Seiffener Volkskunst from the Ore Mountains
Unpretentious in first sight, the little wooden trees proof impressing works of art on a closer look. For over a hundred years people who appreciate this craft have been delighted by those wood curled trees. The manufacturing of these items requires highest levels of skill, ability, experience and patience. Exclusively straight-line grown lime wood is used for the production.
A span tree is made of two parts, the turned base and the tree workpiece. The special crafting method that lets the tree ?grow? out of the workpiece is called ?wood chip tree stabbing?. It creates curls, that are arranged circularly in 6 or 8 rows. Every wood chip curl is worked individually by hand. Afterwards the curls are formed which gives the tree its beautiful shape.
Depending on its size a wood chip tree has up to 200 curls.
Wood chip trees are available in the sizes from 8cm (3 inches) to 100 cm (3.28 feet). The making of a wood chip tree is very time-consuming. The manufacturing of a larger exemplar takes more than three hours. In the Ore Mountains there are only very few craftsmen who master this art. Especially the wood chip trees by the Seiffener Volkskunst impress with their outstanding quality.
The wood chip trees are often used for the decoration of candle arches and Christmas pyramids. We would also love to draw your attention to the wonderful Christmas tree decoration in the wood chip tree style. A Christmas tree decorated with these elegant ornaments will delight you every year anew.
This video illustrates the craftsmanship of manufacturing a wood chip tree:
Production of a wood chip tree
Made in Germany - 100 % handcraft from the Ore Mountains, where our decorative wood chip trees are created.
- Made of lime wood in different sizes between 8 cm (3 inches) and 100 cm (3.28 feet).
- A wood chip tree consists of 2 parts, the turned base and the tree workpiece.
- The crafting that lets the tree grow out of the workpiece is called wood chip tree stabbing.
- This way 6 or 8 rows of circularly arranged curls are created. Every wood chip curl is worked individually by hand.
- Afterwards the curls are formed which gives the tree its beautiful shape. Depending on its size a wood chip tree has up to 200 curls.
- The manufacturing of a wood chip tree requires a high level of skill and ability. This extraordinary craftsmanship is solely performed in the Ore Mountains.
Here are some impressions from the wood chip tree manufacturing
Click on pictures for larger view.